Create a beautiful fish dish that has gourmet flavor by making this Tea Smoked Salmon. Although the cooking difficulty for this Tea Smoked Salmon with Herb Mayonnaise is not easy, it's not impossible either. If you don't try cooking new things or using new techniques you'll never get better, so embrace this recipe as a personal challenge. Enjoy your Tea Smoked Salmon with Herb Mayonnaise recipe provided below.
IngredientsSRC: Find this Tea Smoked Salmon's Nutritional Information, tips and much more at: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2555637/teasmoked-salmon-with-herb-mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp tea leaves (see 'Try', below)
- 2 tbsp uncooked white rice
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 4 salmon fillets, about 150g/5½oz each
- few drizzles olive oil
- ½ cucumber, cut lengthways into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls rocket
- drizzle red wine vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 200ml olive oil (not extra virgin)
- squeeze lemon juice
- large handful herbs, such as parsley, chives and tarragon, finely chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
- To make the mayonnaise, put the egg yolks and mustard in a bowl. Whisk well, then gradually dribble in the oil, whisking continuously until thick. Add the lemon juice and herbs, then season. Keep in the fridge. Can be made up to 2 days ahead.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line a flameproof roasting tin with a sheet of foil. Mix the tea, rice and sugar, and scatter over the foil (see step 1).
- Cut another sheet of foil and fold to make a rectangle that will sit in the tin. Pierce lots of small holes in the foil (see step 2) and lay the salmon, skin-side down, on top (see step 3).
- Set the roasting tin on a high-ish heat on the hob until the tea is gently smoking, then lay the foil with the salmon over the tea. Cover the pan tightly with more foil and roast for 5 mins for rare, or 8 mins for salmon that is cooked through. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt.
- Combine the cucumber, radishes and rocket in a bowl. Spoon some mayonnaise onto 4 plates, draw the spoon through to swipe, and put a salmon fillet on top. Dress the salad with oil and vinegar and divide between the plates. Serve sprinkled with herbs.