Tea and muffins go together like t-sleeve® and teabags. These Chamomile, Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins are great for serving at a brunch or to nibble on while having tea with a good friend. This recipe serves 12 so if you're having more than 5 people over you may want to make a double batch, they go so quickly. Enjoy this Chamomile, Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins recipe provided for you below.
- 250 ml (1 cup) whole milk
- 3 tsp loose leaf Chamomile tea or 4 tea bags
- 375 grams (2½ cups) self-raising flour, sifted
- 155 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 125 grams butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- To glaze or serve: lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with liners or baking paper squares.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, bring the milk to a light simmer and add the Chamomile. Bring to a boil then set aside to infuse and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the sifted flour, caster sugar and poppy seeds and stir to combine.
- Add the melted butter, lemon juice, zest and eggs to the dry ingredients.
- Using a sieve gently strain the milk from the tea leaves (if using bags skip this step) and add to the batter.
- Gently fold the batter, being careful not to overwork it.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin cases.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean - the muffins will continue to cook upon standing so be careful not to leave them in too long.
- Remove muffins onto a baking rack and let cool.
- Whilst the muffins are cooling, in a small saucepan over low heat, place 4 tablespoons of lemon curd and 1 tablespoon of water and heat until softened and runny.
- With a pastry brush gently glaze the tops of the slightly warm muffins.
SRC: Find more information and photos of these Chamomile, Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins at: www.butterandbrioche.com/chamomile-lemon-poppy-seed-muffins/